Thursday 12 January 2012

New Year, New Beginnings..

Hello!

If you are reading this, and are not a member of my immediate family or friendship group, then clearly this blog is having its intended effect! My name is Ed Barker and this is my blog; a platform to comment on ongoing policy issues in the agricultural and rural industries.

I have been inspired to start this as I really do feel that there is a worrying shortage of political, media and public attention to rural affairs. My first hand experience has shown me that a fundamental lack of understanding exists across all divides and platforms, and instead of berating this situation any further, I decided I should at least try and do something about it.

Many readers will remember the press attention and general furore that occurred during the summer of 2011 in reference to regulation of the circus animals in the United Kingdom. I do not dispute that this is an issue for a Government to look at. However, whether this could have been considered by DEFRA as a top priority is certainly questionable; indeed the number of wild animals (37) in which the debates concerned was fewer than the number of MPs who chose to debate it!

Whilst this debate was raging, British dairy farmers were witnessing a declining average price received for milk, caged hen egg producers were facing a major competitive disadvantage at the hands of the European Commission, and the decline of profits within the pig industry showed no sign of abating. However, it was felt that best use of DEFRA’s time was discuss welfare arrangements for a handful of animals, as opposed to fulfilling more suitable and pressing needs within the industry that should really achieve greater prominence.

So there we are – that is why I have set this blog up. I hope you enjoy reading about the issues that I raise. Many people I speak to in Westminster are interested in the issues that face the industry, however that information is often unpalatable and cumbersome or even non-existent in the first place. I will look to cast my musings over developments from Westminster that affect the sector and (hopefully) deliver it in a jargon-free manner.

No comments:

Post a Comment